Sunday, August 31, 2014

1967 Royal 890

I bought this typewriter in Tacoma, Washington. It is a later model Royal 890--this can be identified by the Litton Industries logo, located to the right of the word Royal. (When I was younger, I used to think that the logo was a lowercase r instead of "li") It and the serial number put this typewriter at roughly 1967. Strangely, it is much easier to find higher-end Royals (like the Safari) and Smith-Coronas (Silent/Silent-Super) than their mid-range equivalents (like the 890, 990, Aristocrat, Telstar, and the Smith-Corona Sterling and Clipper models). This may be because of their prices compared to the additional features offered by the higher-end models (such as Magic Margin, a 1/! key, and a paper guide), which usually added very little to their price. For some reason, this typewriter has a tendency to glow when photographed: 





2 comments:

  1. I love the look of these later 60's Royals!
    I just got my first, a creamy white entry level, 1966 890.

    ReplyDelete