Tuesday, April 17, 2018

One of the creepiest songs I can think of

My analysis of Elusive Butterfly (1965) (the long one is creepier)

You might wake up some mornin'
To the sound of something moving past your window in the wind
(Ladder?)
And if you're quick enough to rise
You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow
(He noticed that she saw him?)
Out on the new horizon
You may see the floating motion of a distant pair of wings
And if the sleep has left your ears (he knows she was sleeping)
You might hear footsteps running through an open meadow (he's running across the front lawn?)

Don't be concerned, it will not harm you
(He says "it". Does that mean that he might?)
It's only me pursuing somethin' I'm not sure of
(He's pursuing her?)
Across my dreams with nets of wonder
(Can we verify that it is not a literal net?)
I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love
(Random victim, please, be concerned)

You might have heard my footsteps
Echo softly in the distance through the canyons of your mind (He can walk quietly. Always a good skill for a stalker)
I might have even called your name (it's about her, not a butterfly; he knows her name...)
As I ran searching after something to believe in
You might have seen me runnin'
Through the long-abandoned ruins of the dreams you left behind (projection?)
If you remember something there
That glided past you followed close by heavy breathin' (Eww. Please, call the cops)

Don't be concerned, it will not harm you
(It seems disturbing how many times he tells her not to be concerned, and that "harm" is his verb of choice)
It's only me pursuing somethin' I'm not sure of
Across my dreams with nets of wonder
I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love
Across my dreams with nets of wonder
I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love
(Buy a Taser)

No comments:

Post a Comment